Sunday, May 01, 2005

Many Paths Up The Mountain

From the first day of my calling, I've been researching online all the various vocational options. My first thought was to the diocesan priesthood. It WAS the first thing that came into my head when I thought of the religious life. That's only natural. We see the priest in action in the life of the parish. When one thinks of Church...well, you think Father Whatisname. It's a common cliche. And yet as I ponder how Christ wants me to best serve, I think of the gifts that I was born with and have developed in my life. What is most suited for my personality? Where and how do I mesh my talents and needs with what God wants? What will my mission be?

I have met with Fr. Griner at Epiphany, confessed my sins and desire to seek a vocation as priest. I have also met with the Archdiocese vocational director, Fr. Bowling. Both have confirmed what my research online has already told me, I have a few years to discern what what Gods plan is. Beside becoming active in parish life, I need to get confirmed and become more entreached in my faith. I need to clear up my dept and finish school. Ok, that's three years at least. Cool, these are things I want and need to do anyway.

I also knew I needed to take time out any go on a retreat or two. Sweet! I now have a real reason to go to Gethsemani Abbey and chill with the Trappists for a week. Years ago, after I red The Seven Storey Mountain by Thomas Merton, I wanted to go visit the monks down in Nelson County. So, I'll be spending a week there, June 3rd to 10th, in prayer and meditation. That's not all, I've also arranged to visit the Benendictines at St. Mienrads during the first week of August. Part of that trip will be to check out the seminary there, but mostly to see the difference between the two orders. And in the spirit of fairness, and curiosity, sometime in the next few weeks, I plan to visit the Franciscans down on Dixie Hwy.

This is going to be quite a busy summer. Joy!!! (lol)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home